Friday, March 4, 2011

The Power of God's Word

Ever since college, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the translation of God's Word for the more than 340 million people in the world who don't have the Bible in their heart language. I remember when I was an intern in Papua New Guinea with Wycliffe Bible Translators. We went on a three-day canoe journey upriver to a logging camp to buy some lumber for our village. While there, we ran into some natives from a village further upriver (another two days travel). Mark, one of our village leader's sons, explained to the leader of the other village who we were (two white dudes and an Asian aren't all that common in the jungle of Papua New Guinea). He explained that we were there translating the powerful words of Almighty God for them. At this, the village leader was stunned. "Someone has come to give you the words of God?! How can we get someone to come?! We will pay pigs! We will build a house! Will someone come?! Will you come!?"

At this, I remember watching the missionary we were with lower his head in shame saying that no one could come because there weren't enough people. The village leader's countenance fell dead. He just turned and walked away with the other men who had come with him. I never saw him again.

Watching this video today reminded me of the power of God's Word and the importance of translating the Bible. It brought me to tears. I hope you will rejoice with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment