Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Galatians 2:20...literally



I found this slideshow quite disturbing. While I can appreciate the desire to share in the sufferings of Christ, the idea of being literally crucified if only for a moment has the danger of thinking that partaking in such a ceremony somehow offers penance, a penance that only the Son of God could pay. Christ's suffering was enough. It is finished. At the same time, it makes me think about the fact that literally I am crucified with Christ, not in place of Christ, mind you. I died with Jesus on that cross as he was being crucified, and by his blood I have his righteousness. I am a new creation. So save the nails, I think I'd rather choose the harder way - learning to die to myself in the mundane trivialities of the rest of the year, not just on Good Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment