Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Hmmm...I wonder where all the money went

Recession, really? As the hallowed June 15 date to pre-order your IPhone 4 has passed, it has left its wake of cyber confusion, computer breakdowns, and disgruntled consumers. It seems that no matter how bad the oil spill is, no matter how crooked Wall Street may be, nor how many bailouts we may need to be a part of, one thing will remain true - we as Americans will always find a way to spend, shop, and get what we want, when we want it.

This article is a stern warning to me to fight gadget-lust among other things. It seems there's always something newer, something better, and it seems like Apple's always connected to it in some way. I wonder if Paul's words could apply here “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be enslaved by anything."Paul is talking about the new life that the Spirit gives, and I believe it's a relevant word for me today. If my appetite and my cravings grow out of control, it means that whatever I am craving is mastering me - be it Apple, IPhone, power, sex, approval, whatever. I look at the culture in disgust that as we are facing unprecedented debt, global poverty, and a huge disparity between the wealthy and the marginalized, people so badly want a $200 phone that networks, computers, even cyberspace itself comes crashing down. The worst part is that I am just as part of the problem, so I really look at myself in disgust as well.

Lord, give me deeper affections for you. Grant me a greater passion for things that moth, rust, technological  obsoleteness, and chronological snobbery can't touch. Be my Master, only you. For your kingdom's sake, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment