Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Living in the Interruptions: EP 2 - When you should pick up people off the street

I promised I'd continue to describe my wacky Thursday last week. After meeting my Starbucks friend (who I ended up driving to Naperville Friday morning for a job interview), I attended a multi-ethnic ministry gathering called Mosaic. Upon finishing a meaningful gathering about race and culture, I headed over to Caribou coffee to do some studying for Sunday's message. On the way, I noticed one of our church members walking along the road. Ms. Calvin moved up to this area after Hurricane Katrina ravaged her home. Our church helped her resettle in the area, and it has been a joy getting to know her and her family. She looked like she was just getting off of work, so I pulled over and asked if she needed a ride. She said she'd love one, so she hopped in the car, and I turned around and went in the opposite direction. All during the 15 minute ride, she talked about life here in IL and her daughter who moved back to Louisiana. Here's what I learned:

  • she was disappointed at her daughter's choice of men.
  • a lot of her conversations with her daughter revolved around her walking with the Lord and living in obedience to his will. she really wants her daughter to move back to IL.
  • she also had an 'adoptive' son - a young man living in Louisiana who saw her as his own mom.
  • she really hoped that the both of them would get their lives together and be faithful.
  • she was enjoying the favor of the Lord and trying to walk as closely with him as possible.
I was so glad to have had the opportunity for 15 minutes to find out about her life. As I drove away, I marveled at the amazing plan of God that this woman, a beloved sister in the Lord, was moved into my town by a hurricane of historic proportions, and that now we were in the same car sharing our life, our fears, and our hopes. I think this is fellowship in the deepest sense. She doesn't talk like me. She doesn't act like me, dress like me, think like me, but yet she is my dear sister in the Lord. I wonder how many people I pass by on a daily basis like that?

It reminds me of C.S. Lewis' famous quote:

There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal...it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendors. 

1 comment: