Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Living out Psalm 126

I took a little break from blogging to celebrate the official end of my Wheaton College Graduate School career. This past weekend (beginning last Thursday actually) was a great chance to celebrate with family, friends, and my church family. How good God has been to me over the past two and a half years!

This was a totally different experience than when I graduated from seminary. I was between churches, and the community that had been so formational for me during my seminary years distanced themselves from me. I had just broken up with the girl I was dating at the time, and I didn't know what I would do after graduation.

Eight years later, the Lord has restored my fortunes. The ex-girlfriend became my wife, my CF community celebrated with me over dinner, and my parents, sister, and two sons cheered for me as I walked across the stage. The whole weekend has made me think of Psalm 126.

When the LORD restored the fortunes of Zion,
we were like those who dream.
Then our mouth was filled with laughter,
and our tongue with shouts of joy;
then they said among the nations,
“The LORD has done great things for them.”
The LORD has done great things for us;
we are glad.
Restore our fortunes, O LORD,
like streams in the Negeb!
Those who sow in tears
shall reap with shouts of joy!
He who goes out weeping,
bearing the seed for sowing,
shall come home with shouts of joy,
bringing his sheaves with him.

My life was like the Negev in the winter, yet God sustained me through even a dark time, and restored my life as I learned all that I have in Christ Jesus. The journey was tough, but the lesson is invaluable and life-saving.

No comments:

Post a Comment